founded on february 8, 1970, shanghai nuclear engineering research and design institute co., ltd. (snerdi) is a subsidiary of state power investment corporation (spic). on august 9, 2019, snerdi merged with state nuclear power engineering company (snpec) and became the nuclear technology innovation and project construction platform of spic. since then, snerdi and snptc have been working under an integrated system with “the same headquarters and two brands”. as the first design institute in china that is capable of designing and developing a whole nuclear power plant (npp), snerdi boasts excellent capabilities in terms of the development, deployment and promotion of advanced nuclear technology, epcs contracting and specialized management with full-life technical support for nuclear projects.
since its establishment, snerdi has made great achievements, including but not limited to the following:
- independently designed qinshan npp - the first npp in china’s mainland and chashma npp in pakistan- china’s first exported npp.
- provided general technical support for qinshan phase iii npp - the first heavy water reactor in china.
- introduced gen-iii nuclear power technology ap1000 into china and undertook the ni general contracting for china’s first ap1000 npps - sanmen npp and haiyang npp.
- shouldered the historical mission of introducing, digesting, absorbing and re-innovating gen-iii nuclear power technology for china, as well as undertook one of china’s national major science and technology projects - the r&d, design and construction of guo he one npps.
qinshan phase i
snerdi possesses a world-class staff team engaged in cutting-edge nuclear technology r&d, engineering design and management, and high-end technical services. currently we have more than 2,700 employees, including 1 academician of the chinese academy of sciences, 4 national design masters, and 5 industrial design masters. 4% of our employees hold doctoral or postdoctoral degrees, 41% hold master’s degree or above, and 98% hold bachelor’s degree or above.
snerdi has class a qualifications in the fields of nuclear industry design, project cost consultation, environmental impact assessment of construction projects, power project commissioning and has won a total of 609 awards at ministerial, provincial and national levels, including the grand prize of national science and technology progress award and grand prize of national engineering design award. snerdi has been awarded the “national may day certificate of merit” (twice), “shanghai mayor quality award” and “certified shanghai brand”, and won the honorary titles of “national civilized unit” (3 times) and “shanghai civilized unit” (12 times).
snerdi's main achievements in nuclear power development are listed below:
- independent research and design of qinshan npp phase i;
- general design of chashma npp units 1-4 in pakistan;
- equipment surveillance for qinshan npp phase ii and tianwan npp;
- r&d of the quasi-gen iii nuclear power technology - cpwr1000 in collaboration with westinghouse;
- general design of qinshan npp phase iii;
- r&d of cnp1000;
- subcontracted design of hongyanhe npp units 1-4;
- general contracting and design of the world’s first 4 ap1000 units in sanmen and haiyang;
snerdi’s ongoing r&d work includes:
- r&d, design, equipment development and experimental research of guo he one;
- cap1700 scheme design;
- r&d of smrs;
- design of 300mw-class advanced reactors;
- preliminary research of gen iv reactors;
- technical services, operation support and technological upgrading for 28 domestic units.
snerdi also engages in civil construction in domestic markets.
guided by the mission of “leading the development of nuclear technology and delivering products with excellent quality” and the concept of “delivering quality services for safety improvement and value creation”, snerdi strives to provide safe, clean and reliable nuclear power through remarkable technological innovations.